Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pincushion Swan

Since pincushions are very much in the forefront of quilting/sewing these days I thought I would share mine with you. This swan pincushion came about because I was having trouble picking up the round shaped types. My fingers weren't bending properly so I was leaving my pins scattered around. I liked the idea of being able to pick up the pincushion easily and carry it wherever it was needed. So the neck of the pincushion was born and the pattern just grew from there. My husband wouldn't let me use his saw (in case I hurt myself) so he cut it out for me from the paper template I made. The wood was pine which I sanded and stained 3 times. I then applied a sealer.
The hard part was the fabric body because I wanted something that said "feathers" and showed "wings". I guess my sewing angels were with me that day because in no time I had the body sewn together. I used scrap batting and stuffing material packed very firm into the body of the swan and then attached it to the wooden base.
I still haven't found an eye I like so it's going without. I know it probably looks more like a duck to most of you but to me it's my swan.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Very clever and its long neck does make it look like a swan.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

It's a beautiful work of art - and a useful one at that!

Cheryll said...

That's just amazing!!!!
You're VeRy creative....
:)