Saturday, August 21, 2010

Apple Time


My apple pie is the best thing since sliced bread (according to my DH) so when i start to see the harvest coming in I head for the apple farm that is just down the road. There is nothing better than to bite into a fresh apple and have the juices drip down your chin while the sun is shining and bathing you in it's warmth. I love to walk the rows of apples sampling the wares while I pick. There is no feeling quite like it. I find it very relaxing almost nurturing.  The farmer does offer already picked apples but why miss out on all the fun?
I also relish the thought that I will have to return because each variety of apple has their own "due" date. That's quite alright by me because it stretches out the fun. I'll make some of the apples into pies and crisps, some will be for eating and some will become my keepers that stay in the refrigerator over the winter. Yes, they do last that long if you keep them cold and away from carrots. This time of year makes me reflect on what our grandmothers and mothers went through to keep the family supplied for the winter months. My mother did a lot of canning.  I did as well. It was a long process but i enjoyed being up to my elbows in fruit. If you have never been to an orchard go out and indulge yourself. You'll then understand my pleasure.
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing testing 123.

This is the first time I've been to your blog, Brigitte - it looks fabulous!! I'll take a closer look later today, but i LOVE the picture at the top.

Lynn Robitaille said...

Hi Brigitte!

What a great start to your blog! Looking forward to reading more about your quilting (and maybe a recipe or two?? LOL) Your apple pie sounds yummy. How lucky to be living just down the road from an apple orchard. Love this time of year too when all the markets are full of local fruit and veggies.

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Nice start on your blog. I picked a bowl of apples this afternoon and they are now smelling delicious in the crock pot, becoming applesauce. Yum!