Friday, September 3, 2010

Stack-n-Whack Quilt

I have owned this piece of fabric for quite some time but never seemed to find the appropriate pattern that would bring out its beauty. I find working with black somewhat difficult because it is so intense in value. A close friend, Lynn, had just learned the Stack-n-Whack technique and asked if I wanted to learn it as well. Since this quilt had been on my "bucket list" I said "yes". One of the requirements was a fabric with a large "repeat". To my surprise this black floral fabric was perfect because of its 22" repeat. That's right. The repeat was 22" which meant a lot of fabric was needed to make anything. I was very lucky to have 3 yards of it so a lap size quilt was possible. Excitement was rising as we measured and cut because in the Stack-n-Whack technique you have no idea what your blocks will look like. It's like opening your presents at Christmas. Surprise!
click to enlarge image
 In no time our first blocks went up on the design wall. We were thrilled at what we saw. I couldn't believe how much my fabric not only changed but how different each block was and it all came from one piece of fabric. At the time Lynn offered to teach me the Stack-n-Whack technique I wasn't sure if I would like it but I definitely became a lover after that day. The bonus was that it didn't take long to sew the blocks together. I now wonder if there is anything I should add to this quilt to make it "pop" some more.  I appreciate you leaving me a comment after this post. Thank you!


click to enlarge image

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh goodness, Brigitte, this is beautiful. Normally I am not a fan of this technique, but your fabric really shines. Maybe it is the black, which I think needs to be in every quilt I make.

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

Your quilt is very striking as it is, Brigitte. The black really makes all the other colors pop. I wouldn't change anything!

Renate Bischoff said...

Amazing! I love this quilt. The colors are great. I always wanted to make this 4-patch-Stack-n-Whack.
But there are so many quilts on my to-do-list :-))